Applying online can be convenient and easy but before you begin there are a few things you need to do to ensure success with the process.
- Be prepared by having an updated resume which is targeted to the job along with other relevant documents
- Create a cover letter tailored to the position
- Be aware of key words in the job posting and job description and use the same language in your resume and cover letter
- Establish a personal connection with the employer by making a reference to their mission statement, Facebook post or a mutual colleague. It will demonstrate personality even though you are restricted to electronic correspondence
- Start by answering all required questions on the application and then add more information in the Additional Information sections. Use those sections to share your relevant skills, qualifications and interests.
- If possible avoid giving a numerical amount when asked about salary and suggest it is negotiable or you expect the salary to be based on labour market information (“going rate”). As a job searcher, find out what the rate of pay is your field of work.
- Some applications online also ask you to complete an assessment to complete your submission and you must give yourself the necessary time
We can help you with applying online. Please visit one of our locations for one-on-one assistance.