Applying online can be convenient and easy but before you begin there are a few things you need to do to ensure success with the process.
- Be prepared by having an updated resume which is targeted to the job along with other relevant documents
- Create a cover letter tailored to the position
- Be aware of keywords in the job posting/description and use the same language in your resume and cover letter
- Establish a personal connection with the employer by making a reference to their mission statement, Facebook post or a mutual colleague. It will demonstrate personality even though you are restricted to electronic correspondence.
- Start by answering all required questions on the application and then add more information in the Additional Information sections. Use those sections to share your relevant skills, qualifications and interests.
- If possible avoid giving a numerical amount when asked about salary and suggest it is negotiable or you expect the salary to be based on labour market information (“going rate”). As a job searcher, find out what the rate of pay is in your field of work.
- Some applications online also ask you to complete an assessment as part of your submission – give yourself the necessary time
We can help you with applying online. Please visit one of our locations for one-on-one assistance.