Website Advocate Printing and Publishing
Bindery Assistant – Casual
Advocate Printing & Publishing – Pictou, NS
Advocate Printing & Publishing is the largest privately-owned printing and publishing company in Atlantic Canada. Our customers’ success makes our business successful. The Advocate family values and understands that people really do make a difference.
We are currently looking for a motivated, team player who will assist Bindery Operators, tend various machines and equipment, perform tasks involved in binding magazines, periodicals, and pamphlets, as well as assemble related printed materials in accordance with work order specifications. Reporting to the Bindery Administrator and Manager of Production this position communicates with operators, coordinators, and co-workers.
Come join us and be a part of our community!
• Crease and compress signatures prior to affixing covers, using press or by hand.
• Punch holes in paper sheets, fasten sheets, signatures, or other printed materials together, using hand or machine stapler, adjust or tend machine that inserts wire or plastic binding strips into punched holes to fasten pages and covers together.
• Feed covers, signatures and sheets into various machines for collating, stitching, trimming, folding, ruling, stapling, roughing, indexing, gluing and perforating operations.
• Remove, stack, and pack printed material in various stages of completion on pallets as it accumulates on delivery table of machines.
• Examine stitched, collated, bound and unbound publications and ensure pages are bound in numerical or folio order according to sample copy.
• Review and help resolve defects for example, imperfect bindings, ink spots, torn, loose, uneven pages, loose and/or uncut threads.
• Insert illustrated pages, extra sheets and collated sets into catalogs, periodicals, directories, pocket portfolios or loose-leaf binders and inserts sheets.
• Apply labels to envelopes or periodicals.
• Place paper jackets on printed materials as required.
• Apply adhesive tape, Mylar strips, and index tabs to sheets as required.
• Record daily production as requested.
• Clean the work area around machines.
• May lead, train, and monitor work of less experienced Assistants.
Qualifications and Requirements
• Grade 12 or equivalent working experience.
• Very good organizational skills with great attention to detail.
• Must lift, place and strap up to 50 lbs. of printed materials.
• Ability to work standing up, crouching, bending while working on cement flooring.
• Must wear CSA (steel toe) approved safety footwear and hearing protection.
• Must learn and follow all company safety standards as trained.
• May be required to operate manual and motorized pallet jacks.
• Good interpersonal skills willing to work independently or as part of a team.
• The ideal candidate will have all the above attributes. We are willing to train an enthusiastic, dedicated and career oriented individual.
All applications will be gratefully accepted however, only those being considered will be contacted.
Interested applicants can send a resume in confidence to: email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.