The Customer Service Representative works directly with customers and employees, handling inquiries, product returns, exchanges and sales transactions efficiently and professionally. Customer service and computerized cash register proficiency is essential for success in this position to enhance the customer experience.
Responsibilities and Tasks
• Smiles, makes eye contact, greets and thanks customers (by name where possible).
• Guides customer to the location of requested items.
• Ends the discussion with the customer using a closing statement (e.g., “Is there anything else I can do for you today?” “Did you find everything you were looking for?” “Thank you for shopping at Canadian Tire!”).
• Responds to and handles multiple customer inquiries, requests and concerns in a timely manner, over the phone and in person.
• Deals with challenging situations and conflict resolution in a professional manner.
• Operates cash register, computer, fax machine, printer and electronic funds terminals (debit cards, credit cards) and enters all relevant coding in Canadian Tire systems.
• Provides announcements professionally through a public address system.
• Processes returns and exchanges using the computerized system.
• Follows established policies and procedures on returns and rain checks.
• Maintains merchandise around the customer service area and ensures that retail basics are executed efficiently (labels, facing, clean area etc.).
• Processes customer purchases efficiently, following standardized procedures.
• Accurately verifies merchandise quantities, descriptions and price.
• Balances cash and is aware of amount of cash on hand.
• Follows up with product returns to ensure they are sent to the respective departments.
• Reports stolen and damaged goods to Management.
• Identifies and alerts Management to security problems, customer concerns and inquiries.
• Shares opinions and ideas on how to improve store processes and success.
• Participates in meetings and all training as required; listens to feedback to improve their own abilities.
• Complies with company, store and department policies.
• Abides by all health and safety programs and regulations. Reports any observed or potential hazards immediately.
• Uses professional language and maintains a professional appearance (e.g., uniform, hygiene, grooming and name tag) when interacting with others.
• Completes other tasks, as required.
• Basic math and typing skills.
• Ability to work efficiently with computerized and cash register systems.
• Organizational ability and attention to detail.
• Ability to work under minimum supervision.
• Experience in a customer service role and/or with a Canadian Tire store is considered an asset.
Required Skills and Abilities
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following competencies:
• Strong orientation towards customer service excellence.
• Highly approachable, customer-oriented individual who thrives in offering exceptional service to customers.
• Strong belief in the Canadian Tire Values of honesty, integrity and respect.
• Effective written and oral communication skills (probing, listening, etc) and the ability to maintain professional communication, even in challenging situations.
• Ability to complete retail tasks according to instructions and to demonstrate responsibility for outcomes.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment that provides assistance and support to co-workers to achieve common goals.
• Ability to resolve retail and/or customer issues.
• Ability to multitask, adapt and cope with challenging and changing situations.
• Positive attitude, punctuality and solid work ethic.
Potential Career Opportunities
• Next levels: Merchandiser, Cashier Supervisor and Department Manager.
• Other retail, customer service and management opportunities in a large network of more than 485 Canadian Tire stores across the country.
• Career opportunities across the larger Canadian Tire family (Canadian Tire Petroleum, PartSource, Mark’s, FGL Sports Ltd, Canadian Tire Corporation Limited, and Canadian Tire Financial Services).
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
In compliance with the store’s Health and Safety Policies and Procedures:
• Standing/walking for 8 hours.
• Lifting and/or carrying of merchandise items, as required, on a regular, frequent and unassisted basis. Merchandise items may vary in weight from “light” to “heavy”.
• Lifting and turning repeatedly throughout the shift.
• Lifting above the shoulder, from floor to shoulder and floor to waist.
• Walking and carrying things at the same time and pushing/pulling, as required.
Customer experience: Smiles, makes eye contact with and greets customers. Serves customers with attention and respect (e.g., does not chat with colleagues while serving customers). Answers questions and provides friendly service to customers. Processes customers’ purchases efficiently and correctly, with a friendly and courteous service approach. When appropriate, may suggest value-added and related products to customers to ensure they get home with all they need. Closes the discussion with the customer with a closing statement (e.g., “Is there anything else I can do for you today?” “Did you find everything you needed today?” “Thank you for shopping at Canadian Tire”). Always prioritizes serving customers over other retail tasks. Listens to feedback related to customer service and changes required behaviours. Is considerate of customers’ time. Provides excellent customer service to all customers, even when questions asked are related to another department and knows when to refer to another colleague or ask for help. Follows guidelines, policies and procedures emphasizing the customers. Learns about new products and promotions on a consistent basis. Shares ideas and suggestions with the Management Team on how to attract customers and helps execute those ideas.
Honesty, integrity, respect: Respects the line of authority. Openly shares opinions with managers and suggests constructive feedback. Readily admits own mistakes, does not hide facts to avoid negative consequences and learns from them. Is open, fair and treats others equally. Speaks respectfully to team members, customers and managers by using a professional tone of voice and language. Shows respect for cultural and religious differences. Follows the systems and procedures that protect the confidentiality and privacy of customers. Recognizes and reports negative behaviours that hurt the store, customers and other important policies.
Leading and managing: Guides other team members in areas of expertise. Works in collaboration with other team members and shares tips and personal learning to help colleagues. Communicates clearly with others. Works independently on tasks and helping customers, is resourceful and shows ability to find answers. Displays a positive attitude and good work ethic and executes tasks in a timely manner. Attends to both customers and tasks and always tries to do his/her best. Understands and executes Management Team goals and objectives.
Growing the business:
Ensures that retail basics are executed effectively and understands how they relate to sales and profitability (e.g., sales lost as a result of missing labels, incorrect pricing, holes not filled, deals not ready, products not faced properly, etc.). Understands how own actions, suggestions and sales efforts contribute to overall sales numbers and shares ideas with managers on how to improve productivity. Uses tools available to refer cost and retail issues back to the department manager (e.g., coding in CT system, etc.). Has a general understanding of budget allocation, cost, retail principles and retail competitors’ factors that influence sales and overall store success.
Problem solving and decision making: Uses product knowledge to resolve customers’ problems or questions about products. Knows when to make a decision independently and when to get approval from the Management Team. Comes up with different suggestions to resolve customers’ problems. Knows where and how to find relevant information to resolve customer issues. Understands and applies rules and guidelines to find an acceptable solution to customer issues, in the best interest of the store.
Motivating and coaching:
Shares best practices, tips and personal learning to help colleagues improve their performance and tell them when they do a good job. Offers to help others and helps new employees to learn about products, policies and procedures. Is open to feedback and gaining new experience, sees coaching as a learning tool and learns from more experienced team members. Completes training with personal interest and motivation.
Works to find solutions to issues and conflicts and suggests changes that could make the store function better. Communicates politely and respectfully with others despite frustrating situations, remains calm when under pressure and stays focused on assigned responsibilities and tasks in a positive way. Adapts to different supervisors’ management and communication style, as well as customers. Is open and optimistic when faced with changes, willingly tries new work methods or stops working on current task to suit changing circumstances. Understands own limits and its impact on others and knows when to ask for help. Moves ahead with work in a positive way despite setbacks.
Work as a team:
Is considerate towards everyone in the store and gets along well with others. Develops effective and supportive relationships within the store, at all levels (management, team members, etc.). Adapts interpersonal style to suit others. Plays an active role within the team by openly sharing opinions and ideas, pitching in to help others get their work done and participating in activities organized by the Management Team and/or Social Committee.
Plans, organizes, delegates, follows up: Executes work in logical and organized way in order to avoid unproductive work. Organizes work areas. Follows direction shared by the Management Team to achieve goals. Takes action to understand in-store promotions and applies them.
Takes action and delivers results: Takes ownership and accepts responsibility of assigned tasks. Accepts challenging tasks focuses on achieving results and gets things done as quickly as possible in a safe and efficient manner. Displays a desire to achieve results for the department and always looks for ways to work more efficiently. Understands department goals and executes an action plan to improve store success.
Follows directions from Senior Management Team and complies with management decisions, even when in disagreement. Learns and follows the rules, policies and procedures that need to be respected in the store and understands the consequences of not complying with them. Accomplishes tasks according to Health and Safety rules and regulations. Shares health and safety concerns with Manager.