Paqtnkek Mi'kmaw Nation
Paqtnkek Mi’kmaw Nation and Bayside Development Corporation
Location: Paqtnkek Mi’kmaw Nation, Antigonish County, Nova Scotia
Job Type: Full Time Permanent
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Paqtnkek Mi’kmaw Nation the administration arm and Bayside Development is the business development arm of Paqtnkek Mi’kmaw Nation. Bayside established in 2018, the mission of Bayside Development is to make the Paqtnkek Mi’kmaw Nation community economically prosperous’. Bayside Development is responsible for the management of on and off reserve businesses as well as the development of additional business
opportunities that are consistent with the Core Values. Bayside Development is growing rapidly and becoming increasingly recognized locally, provincially and nationally for the opportunities being pursed and the high quality of management. To be the leader of the team you must be willing and able to work in a sometimes fast paced environment with strict deadlines. Working with departments, businesses and government partners, the Finance Officer is to strengthen fiscal management of both Paqtnkek Mi’kmaw Nation and Bayside Development. The Finance Officer cultivates close working relationships with the administration heads, council, provincial, federal and municipal governments, and other
non-for-profit partners to support the development and implementation of fiscal management processes.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
● Assist and prepare the annual consolidated budget with the Chief Financial Officer and for Chief and
Council of Paqtnkek Mi’kmaw Nation and the CEO of the Bayside Development Corporation.
● Responsible for all aspects of financial reporting for all band operations and entities – including monthly
and annual reporting, including maintaining a proper system of internal controls.
● Assist and prepare all annual year end statements and related working paper file for the year end
● Responsible for preparing for the auditors the annual consolidated financial statements and related
supporting reports required by ISC’s year end reporting guide and First Nations Fiscal Management Act
and related entities that Paqtnkek is signatory to.
● Responsible for the Band’s cash management needs, ensuring that the band can meet all financial
obligations, and make arrangements with the bank when unable to do so.
● Responsible for all financial analysis of monthly financial statements.
● Responsible for reporting financial results to the Finance Committee and the Chief and Council.
● Responsible for the implementation of the Financial Administrative Laws and Financial Management,
Tendering and Financial Policies.
● Assist Chief and Council upon request.
● Assist in the development of new band policies and procedures.
● Participate in key developing committees such as the Executive Committee, the Management Review
Committee, the Capital Planning Committee, the Finance Committee, Salary Review Committee and
regular Management Team meetings.
● Responsible all government reporting for the Band Council.
● Responsible for all government liaison with all government departments for financial related issues
● Responsible for all liaison with the Band’s financial institutions including reviewing annual credit
requirements needed for Band operations and development corporation
● Assist in proposal writing and tracking
● Responsible for financing of all capital and housing projects for the band
● Assist the Bayside Development Corporation and its related entities in obtaining government funding
● Assist with Project management of new capital projects on behalf of band
● Responsible for running the Band’s finance department in-conjunction with the Chief Financial Officer
that which includes managing employees, and providing assistance and mentoring to staff
● Assist the Director of Operations, the CFO and the CEO of the Development Corporation with key
operational issues related to the day to day activities of the Band Council and related business entities
● Assist the Director of Operations, Chief Financial Officer and the directors & managers of all the Band’s
departments and business entities in day to day decision process
● Oversee all financial reporting systems to ensure they meet Band’s needs.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
● Maintain positive relationships with Paqtnkek’s Internal and External Customers, ensuring transactions
or information received on behalf of the Band and/or its members are kept confidential.
● Maintain and improve Paqtnkek’s Change Management and Quality Management System as it relates to
job related duties and and/or department.
● Other department related duties as required by Chief and Council.
● Accounting and Finance Management
● Leadership and Management
● Business Development and Management
● Effective and Interactive Communication
● Partnering & Relationship Building
● Strategic Orientation
● Team Leadership
Candidate must have:
● Diploma in Business Administration, or Bachelor of Business Administration degree and or equivalent
work experience and education.
● 5 or more years in corporate accounting and managerial experience
● Strong networking background
● Accounting and Financial management and business development experience
The position comes with many incentives including two weeks paid vacation in December and other given days There is no relocation incentive for this position. Salary will commensurate with education and experience, we offer group health and pension benefits.
Please send your resume and cover letter along with work related three (3) references to:
Darryl McDonald, Director of Administration, 7 Dillon Street, Antigonish Co., Nova Scotia B0H 1A0.
By email: email@example.com or Fax (902) 386-2781. Resumes will be accepted via Canada Post,
Courier, email and fax (902) 386-2043 until 12:00 pm Friday August 9, 2019. Resumes received after the
deadline will not be accepted. Interviews will be held in August 2019. Only candidates who have been contacted will be asked for an interview.
All other things being equal, Paqtnkek Mi’kmaw Nation reserves the right to hire a qualified candidate of
How To Apply:email
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.