Part-Time Accounting Assistant
Reports to: Accounting Manager, Director of Operations
Work Site: Halifax, NS
Salary: 2 – 3 days per week. $25.00 hourly.
To Apply: Submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Current Vacancy: Part-time, renewable contract position
Digital Mi’kmaq is a groundbreaking Indigenous-led grassroots initiative that aims to create lasting opportunities for Indigenous youth and communities through the interplay of science, culture, education and digital skills. Since 2018, Digital Mi’kmaq has reached 14,000 students and educators across Atlantic Canada. Through the adoption of an integrated suite of programs for students and youth, Digital Mi’kmaq aims to create a new paradigm of economic growth strategically aligned to the knowledge economy of today.
As our programming and initiatives scale up, we are hoping to hire an Accounting Assistant to support the expansion of our initiatives and assist the Accounting Manager with streamlining financial and accounting processes. We see the Accounting Assistant as an invaluable member of the overall team and look to them to be an active contributor to the continuing success of our organization.
Successful candidates will join a vibrant team of committed individuals ardently working to increase opportunities and improve the quality of life for present and future generation of Indigenous children.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Accounting Assistant will work collaboratively with other team members and accounting staff to improve current accounting practices, monitor employee and organization expenses and maintain a high-standard of accurate and timely reporting of all matters concerning organizational finances.
In this role, you will be responsible for inputing and summarizing accounts and supporting the accounting team as directed.
In addition, the Accounting Assistant will be expected to:
- Collect and compose data for monthly expense reports.
- Photocopy, scan, email and file receipts, invoices and accounts payable.
- Assist accounting team and staff with various reports in expense areas and others, as required.
- Update databases and spreadsheets.
- Help prepare regular bi-weekly monthly, and quarterly expense reports.
- Supporting the COO, Financial Comptroller and the broader administrative team in accounting activities when needed.
Relevant Skills and Qualifications
We are looking for an employee with a high level of professionalism, attention to detail, a “can-do” attitude and positive interpersonal skills. Additional relevant skills and capacities beneficial to this position include:
- Strong attention to detail and performance.
- Confidence working in a team-based environment
- Effective abilities to work independently.
- Solid problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Proven capacities coordinating and managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proven organizational, time and project-management skills.
- A unwavering commitment to excellence and strong work ethic.
Education and Occupational Experience
- Successful completion of secondary school education with an acceptable combination of education, training and experience will be considered.
Preferred educational qualifications:
- A Bachelor degree in a relevant subject area and at least 3+ years of relevant office experience, combined with bookkeeping experience in support of accounting, financial year ends and audits.
- Knowledge of financial auditing procedures and practice.
- As all programs involve digital applications, comfort and familiarity with digital and computer-based applications such as word processing, Simply Accounting, Microsoft Office and EXCEL.
- Experience working within an entrepreneurial, fast moving non-profit environment as well as reporting to a variety of public, private and non-profit boards.
All candidates are required to complete and submit a criminal record check.
Digital Mi’kmaq is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate, encouraging qualified candidates of any gender, race, class, sexual orientation, faith, disability or age to apply. Candidates will be evaluated on a merit basis.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume to: Ceira Young, firstname.lastname@example.org
How To Apply:By Email
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.