Job Title: Director of Aquatics
Reports to Centre Manager, YMCA of Pictou County
Position Status: Full Time, Salaried
Start Date: July 2019
Office Location: YMCA of Pictou County
The YMCA of Pictou County is looking for a dynamic self-starter to join our team as the Director of Aquatics. At the YMCA of Pictou County, we know the value of being healthy and active, of bringing people together, and social and physical activity within a community.
The YMCA Experience
At the YMCA we know that our ability to partner with others in our community is through the passion and dedication of our employees and volunteers. In joining the YMCA, you will become part of a dedicated network of individuals with great passion for providing a holistic support to the communities in which we serve.
Reporting to Centre Manager, the Director of Aquatics is responsible for strategic leadership and oversight of all Association Aquatics programming in support of our YMCA’s mission, vision, and operational and fiduciary objectives. Through collaboration and leadership of Aquatics staff, this position is accountable for championing our YMCA community profile through the facilitation of responsive, meaningful programming in a positive, inclusive, community-oriented environment. The regular work week for this position is Tuesday to Saturday (Sept-June) with one weekday evening shift and Monday to Friday (July & August) with one weekday evening shift.
- Responsible for oversight and staff leadership for Aquatics programming with aim of ensuring inclusive, meaningful, and positive environment that enhances the achievement of participant whole-life health and wellness goals.
- Develop, promote, plan, implement and evaluate aquatics programs ensuring high level member satisfaction, engagement, and retention.
- Ensure program delivery is in keeping with Serving All Members (SAM), safety, and child protection standards.
- Build, foster, and maintain positive working relationships with participants, community members, staff and volunteer in efforts to enhance and promote our Y profile in the community.
- Evaluate, present, and initiate recommendations to enhance participant satisfaction, engagement, and retention to ensure the delivery of quality aquatics programming.
- Ensure fair, consistent, and equitable administration of all Talent Management process including Recruitment, Selection, Onboarding, Development, scheduling/work allocation, and Performance Management of all staff and volunteers.
- Ensure modeling and championing of YMCA behavioral standards in regard to professionalism, discretion, behavioural standards, and respectful workplace requirements.
- Ensure all YMCA Child Safety and Protection standards are enforced for both staff and volunteers.
- Facilitation and delivery of internal and external communications, including responding to program questions, client concerns, preparation of promotional material, and two-way communication with internal departments in aim of supporting program delivery.
- Develop, implement, and maintain department budgets to ensure a sustainable, fiscally responsible Association practices.
- Ensure Aquatics Centre and program delivery meet or exceed any and all provincial/public health regulations, Child Protection, and Aquatics Safety Standards.
- Completion of all Association, program, and national reporting requirements.
- Collaborate and provide support to Association program areas by actively sourcing opportunities to promote the Y profile, engage and expand member enrollment, and to participate with event marketing/promotion activities as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Participation in Comprehensive Group Benefits and Pension Program
- Individual & Family YMCA Membership
- Strong Work Life Balance Programs (i.e. Paid Personal and Vacation Days)
- Discounted Childcare and Camp Rates
- Post-secondary degree in physical education, recreation, business or a related field
- 1-3 years of supervisory or leadership experience in aquatics, recreation field
- 1-3 years’ Experience in delivery of recreation or aquatics programming
- Current National Lifeguard Service, Standard First Aid & CPR (an asset; we can provide)
- YMCA Swim Instructor, Lifesaving Instructor, NLS Instructor, Bronze or NLS Examiner an asset
- Proven track record of success in community-oriented program delivery through establishing collaborative internal and external working relationships/project teams
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish rapport with clients
- Proven track record of programming excellence and dedication to safety
- Demonstrated ability to meet multiple, competing deadlines
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Flexibility to work irregular hours as required.
- Note: Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Record Check/Vulnerable Sector Check, Child Abuse Registry Check, and proof of valid First Aid and CPR training. Employees will be required to attend YMCA Child Protection Training.
Please email your cover letter and resume in one document to Tammy Goodwin, Executive Director, YMCA of Pictou County via email: firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, July 4.
We look forward to hearing from you.
The YMCA of Pictou County is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.