Website Gerald Hardy Memorial Society
JOB TITLE: Executive Director, Gerald Hardy Memorial Society
The Gerald Hardy Memorial Society (GHMS) is a long established, highly regarded community-based organization, located in Sheet Harbour along the beautiful Eastern Shore of Nova Scotia. GHMS provides vocational, educational, life skills and personal growth opportunities for our clients. We are looking for a community-minded leader to build on the success we have accomplished through our social enterprise endeavors; and who places high value on healthy, positive relationships while working in the community with persons of all abilities. We are in a stage of transition and growth and are looking for a strong candidate who has a proven record in growing community-based, people-oriented organizations. For the selected candidate, we are pleased to offer the opportunity to participate in a shared Health Care and Pension Program.
The Executive Director (ED) under the guidance of the Board of Directors is responsible to carry out the goals and objectives of the Gerald Hardy Memorial Society. Primary is the provision of life skills, education and vocational training for people with disabilities through programs that encourage community inclusion, support job placement, and advance work contracts. The ED is responsible to provide leadership and direction necessary for the successful management of the Cascades Thrift Shop and Rainbow Food Bank. As the Society’s ambassador, the ED is active and visible in the community through development of relationships with other service providers, community groups and potential employers. Self-motivation and being proactive with a firm future focus the ED ensures growth and enhancement of GHMS.
SOME KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
• The Executive Director is the key organizational leader, providing supervisory support to one Staff (Program Coordinator), Program Participants and Volunteers;
• Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the Society throughout the community;
• Works with Board to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach;
• Responsible for effective administration and daily operation of the Society’s current operations including our social enterprise, the Cascades Thrift Shop, the Rainbow Foodbank, community garden and bottle return. Researching, accessing and overseeing best practices for organization, merchandizing and marketing of these programs;
• Responsible for fiscal management, operating within the approved budget; ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position;
GMHS Job Posting, July 01, 2019
• Responsible for the growth and enhancement of the Society’s image by being active and visible in the community;
• Represent GHMS through active and visible community outreach that promotes growth and highlights the Society’s needs and value to the community;
• Market and promote the Society as a community partner and developer, by developing relationships and working closely with other service providers and community groups;
• Responsible for identification of potential social enterprise opportunities, employers and employment skill set shortages in the community;
• Ongoing identification and recruitment of client program participants;
• Oversee the identification and development of program participants training to meet the current employer skill shortage;
• Establish and maintain working relationships with various organizations throughout the province and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance GHMS Mission.
• Executive Director’s work will be achieved in a combination of both an office and community environment;
• Hours of work based on a standard 35 hr. work week, with occasional evening and weekends, (shared responsibility for Saturday staffing of Cascades Thrift Shop; and evenings to accommodate activities representing the organization at public events);
• This is a permanent, full-time position;
• Some physical requirements are associated with the operation of Cascades Thrift Shop and Rainbow Foodbank (i.e. lifting, carrying, moving items);
• A valid driver’s license, vehicle and adequate liability insurance is required as there is community based work involved to fulfill duties;
• The nature of this job and that it is in a Stage of Growth and Transition, the successful applicant must have strength in adaptability and a willingness to be flexible, versatile and tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency;
• The nature of the job involves working in a position of trust in the community. Completion of Recent Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening, with no current involvement is required.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• A relevant undergraduate degree/diploma – ex. Business admin, Sociology, Psychology, Public Relations Disability Supports, Community Development;
• Three to five years management level developing, managing, assessing or implementing policies in Not for Profit and/or Community Development Sector;
• Combination of relevant education and experience will be considered for exceptional candidates possessing all other qualities for the “right fit”;
• Experience in working with Board of Directors;
• Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation;
• Demonstrated knowledge, experience and ease in working with persons with disabilities;
• Understand the barriers and challenges for disabled people to employment and community participation;
• Ability to develop healthy working relationships in collaborating with clients, staff, Board and community members;
• Proven experience in application of leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit/voluntary organizations;
• Knowledge of current community challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the organization;
• Strong financial management skills;
• Proficiency in the use of computers including but not limited to: word processing, financial management, email, internet, and database management is essential.
1. Starting Salary Range – $39,000 – $43,000 per annum
2. Vacation – Three weeks paid
3. Other – option to join group medical and pension programs
• Application Deadline: July 22nd, 2019
• Intended start date: August 8th, 2019
• Please submit Resume and Cover Letter outlining your interest qualifications and why you believe you would be the right fit for this position by Monday July 22nd, 2019.
• Application can be e-mailed to Janet Briggs, email@example.com
While we thank all who apply, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.