Website Advocate Printing
Health & Safety Specialist
Advocate – Pictou, NS
Join a culture of communities
Are you passionate about Health and Safety, want to engage change and make a difference?
Advocate is searching for a hands-on Health & Safety Specialist who will, in conjunction with divisional management and joint occupational health and safety teams, provide leadership and coordination of safety requirements for manufacturing and office locations. The successful candidate will help develop and deliver Advocate health and safety policies, procedures, standards and implement programs that promote self-safety and the safety of all employees. This position collaborates with all levels including employees, managers, team leaders and senior leadership supporting health and safety requirements within Nova Scotia and New Brunswick Occupational Health and Safety Regulations.
Who are we and what do we do?
At Advocate, we are committed to enhancing our economy and communities through better communication. To make this world a better place for ourselves, and our children, we pursue economic growth, social progress and environment protection in a sustainable manner and support various organizations through funding and participation.
How does a print and publishing company from a small Maritime town become a major force in the Atlantic Canadian communications industry and a hands down favorite with clients?
Roots • Work Ethic • Ability • Diversity • Desire
In addition to the Pictou location, Advocate operates print plants in in Stellarton, NS; Dieppe, NB and St. Croix Printing and Publishing in St. Stephen, NB, and has offices in both Dartmouth, Halifax, and Bridgewater NS. As well, the company includes nine newspapers, 25 trade and regional magazines, catering to diverse market sectors, a flyer distribution company, a commercial photography studio, and a creative design studio. The printing business includes production of everything from national flyers, magazines, and direct mail to brochures, business cards, and promotional materials such as on ice signage and banners.
What does this mean for you?
For you, that means an opportunity to join our family and enjoy benefits that work, some of which are, flexible work / life balance, health and pension plans, and participating in exciting community events.
- Develop implement and continuously improve Safety Policies and Programs in compliance with due diligence and legislative requirements that are specific to divisional operations.
- Coordinate safety training for all new hires ensuring completion of training prior to entry on plant floors.
- Collaborate with managers to ensure they receive and deliver employee safety documentation, workplace inspection documentation and maintenance of documentation in compliance with provincial legislation.
- Ensure all workplace inspections are carried out in accordance with safety legislation and internal responsibility teams.
- Be a champion of safety by providing direction, coaching, support and collaboration to all location leaders, safety advisors and employees.
- Support production teams as the subject matter expert, coordinating and leading safety training and ensuring all training records are kept up to date.
- Ensure all Health and Safety incidents are reported immediately, and a complete investigation is done in a timely manner to determine root causes and corrective actions, if appropriate.
- Ensure any injured worker is offered modified duties and all documentation is completed and help support return to work programs and workplace accommodations with managers, employees, medical professionals and WCB.
- Ensure Supervisors and Team Leaders are trained to carry out incident investigations and reporting requirements.
- Ensure workplace inspections are completed on time and are documented.
- Prepare for and participate in any site audits.
- Respond to and complete workplace inspections with Workplace Safety Officers.
- Organize and ensure First-Aid, WHMIS, Fall Protection and Forklift training is completed in compliance with provincial standards.
- Develop, document and implement Safe Work Procedures and Safe Work Practices.
- Lead, mentor and encourage employee engagement related to self-safety and safety of all employees.
- Perform other duties as required.
The successful candidate will possess:
- A minimum of 2 years hands-on Health and Safety experience
- Solid working knowledge of OH&S, WHMIS, Fall Protection, Fire Protection Programs and the ability to facilitate compliance within all Provincial and IRS in the workplace.
- Experience creating, maintaining and delivering Health and Safety Training Programs, Systems, Policies and Procedures as well as tracking of training programs and metrics will be required
- Occupational Health and Safety Degree, Diploma or Certificate. CRSP is considered an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Requirements within a manufacturing environment as well as Labour Code Standards, Human Rights and Privacy legislation.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Must have the ability to work with MS Suite of Office Products and other software systems.
- The ability to build and maintain excellent employee and customer relationships.
- Creative thinker with goal-oriented attitude to achieve results personally and through others.
- Must possess own transportation and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must travel occasionally.
All applications will be gratefully accepted however, only those being considered will be contacted.
Send your resume in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org
How To Apply:By Email
To apply for this job please visit advocateprinting.com.