Website Digital Mi'Kmaq
Starting: Sept/Oct 2019
Share your professional expertise and experience for 2-4 hours a week and inspire the next generation of Indigenous students. Digital Mi’kmaq are looking for STEAM professionals, who are based across the province, to introduce Indigenous students to computer science, animation, film,
flight and engineering through our after-school/evening clubs. These clubs will be based out of our newly opened Digital Maker Labs, which are
located in each of Nova Scotia’s 13 Mi’kmaq Communities. These Digital Maker Labs are equipped with a wide range of hands-on educational resources that inspire students’ discovery and creativity.
The core responsibilities required for these roles will be to assist students between Grades 4-12 on projects, answer questions and provide guidance. Each session will be attended by a Maker Lab Manager, who will oversee the activity’s organization.
We can offer a payment of $40 a session ($20 per hour). In addition, the cost of your
gas will be covered. Digital Mi’kmaq is a ground-breaking, Indigenous-led initiative aimed at bridging the digital divide and empowering a whole new generation of Indigenous students.
Check out our website to see our journey so far.
To register your interest, go to https://www.digitalmikmaq.com/inspire
• Experience working with youth is preferred
• Commitment to work 2 – 4 hours per week
• Assist running the clubs in the evenings or on Saturdays
• Attend training in September for an October start
• Ability to travel to and from Communities
• Complete a criminal record check prior to being hired
• Excellent time-management and organizational skills
• Help deliver a STEAM-focused club to Indigenous children and youth throughout Nova Scotia
• Engage students in grades 4-12 in a variety of STEAM subjects, including computer science, animation, film, flight and engineering
• Provide mentorship through the sharing of knowledge, digital expertise, technological proficiency and creativity
• Maintain a strong attention to detail in all aspects of program delivery, ensuring all students receive great learning experiences
• Establish and maintain positive working relationships with teachers, staff and community members
• Comfortable working with technology in a creative learning environment