Use social media as a tool while you are job searching and consider the following tips:
- Take control of your brand – make sure your social media image will not distract or deter managers to not hire you. Be mindful of the images, posts and overall content on your social media platforms like Facebook
- Clean up content but don’t delete all accounts because employers often search social media as a screening tool and it may look suspicious if you have no social media presence
- Your LinkedIn account should be current to demonstrate an active business network and professional attitude. Do your research on the employer and customize your profile to reflect your suitability for the job.
- Use social media to research employers and be updated on their goals, projects and news
- Manage your social media presence by recognizing the difference between personal and professional image